With over 3,400 years of historical past to find, Athens is a treasure trove for historical past buffs.
But additionally it is a contemporary metropolis stuffed with hip neighborhoods, incredible eateries, and a vibrant tradition to discover.
And whereas many vacationers overlook the massive metropolis on their technique to the Greek Islands, Athens is nicely value a go to by itself.
But earlier than setting off to Athens, there are some things you want to remember. In this publish, we’ll cowl the whole lot you might want to find out about touring to Athens, together with:
- What are the prices for vacationers?
- Things to find out about tradition and etiquette
- What are the highest sights?
- How protected is it?
- Local meals and drinks
- How good is the WiFi?
- How lengthy are you able to keep?
Ready? Here are the highest 7 issues you might want to know earlier than visiting Athens:
Did you already know… Athens has many stunning seashores to discover, which frequently get ignored for the extra in style sands of the Greek Islands. The Athens Riviera has a number of heat, clear, and accessable seashores, a number of of which could be reached in round half-hour.
1) Athens Affordability
While Greece’s rise in recognition coupled with inflation has elevated some journey prices, there may be nonetheless nice worth to be discovered within the metropolis.
The foreign money in Greece is the Euro. The present trade fee is €1 EUR = $1.07 USD, and $1 USD = €0.93 EUR.
Here are the typical prices for vacationers in USD:
- Average resort value: One night time at a 3-star resort sometimes prices round $100, or $150 for a 4-star resort.
- Luxury 5-star inns: You can discover luxurious 5-star inns for round $250 an evening in Athens, though there are costlier choices if you wish to indulge – just like the Elia Ermou Hotel, the place rooms begin at $600 and suites are sometimes over $1000 per night time.
- If you’re on a price range: Athens has loads of reasonably priced hostels and B&Bs to select from. If you intend forward, you possibly can often discover a non-public ensuite room for lower than $100/night time, or a mattress in a shared room for round $25.
- A 3-course meal at a mid-range restaurant for 2 prices round $50.
- For a low cost meal at a reasonable restaurant, anticipate to pay round $12.
- A beer prices between $4-$5, whereas a cappuccino is about $4.
- Getting round Athens on public transportation is a superb choice. The metropolis’s subway, tram, bus, and prepare community is reasonably priced and environment friendly. 90-minute tickets are $1.30, or you should purchase a one-day go for $4.40, or a 5-day go for $8.84. Alternatively, for $21.50, vacationers should buy a 3-day go that features journey to and from the airport along with limitless journey on public transit.
- If you need to cycle round Athens, bike leases are sometimes round $12 per day.
- Taxi fares begin at $1.40, and price an extra $1.38 per mile. Between midnight and 5 am, the value per mile is sort of double. The in style rideshare app is BEAT and infrequently has higher charges.
2) Culture And Etiquette In Athens
The Greeks are identified for his or her hospitality, and vacationers will encounter pleasant faces even within the bustling metropolis of Athens.
Check this listing earlier than your journey! Here are among the main Dos and Don’ts in Athens.
- DO shake arms: when assembly somebody for the primary time, keep eye contact whereas shaking arms. If somebody goes in for a kiss, you must oblige. It is frequent to greet others in Athens with a kiss on every cheek.
- DON’T put rest room paper in the bathroom: use the trash bins supplied subsequent to the bathroom – the town’s sewage system can’t deal with it.
- DO study some Greek: whereas most individuals in Athens converse some English, understanding a number of key phrases in Greek will go a great distance. Hello (yia sas) and thanks (efharisto) are good beginning factors.
- DON’T neglect to go away a tip: 10% – 15% is customary at eating places and cafes. If you might be tipping a taxi driver, spherical up or add a number of additional euros.
3) Top Attractions in Athens
Athens is stuffed with incredible things to discover. Here are a number of of the highest issues to see and do whereas exploring the town:
- Acropolis – an historical citadel containing the ruins of the Parthenon, the Temple of Zeus, and different historic buildings which were proudly perched on a hill above the town for the reason that 4th century B.C.E.
- National Archaeological Museum – Greece’s largest museum with 11,000 reveals that includes artifacts from the start of Greek civilization.
- Mount Lycabettus – this 900-foot hill is the best level in Athens and provides nice views of the town and the Acropolis. Visitors can stroll up the hill or take a funicular in the event that they need to give their toes a relaxation.
4) How Safe Is It For Tourists?
Athens is a protected and welcoming vacation spot for vacationers. However, there are nonetheless some issues that vacationers ought to bear in mind to remain protected throughout their go to:
- Beware of thieves: pickpocketing is quite common in Athens, particularly on the subway, so preserve your cash and valuables someplace protected.
- Watch out for scammers: Taxi drivers have been identified to make the most of vacationers. Make certain you utilize a good firm or order a taxi by the BEAT app.
- Research your neighborhood: some neighborhoods exterior the vacationer areas have a better fee of crime. In explicit, Omonia and Exarchia could be unsafe at night time.
- DO get journey insurance coverage: Travel insurance might help in well being emergencies in addition to with overlaying the prices of any journey mishaps throughout your Athens journey. For 5 nice choices, read more here.
5) Local Eats And Drinks
One of the very best components of journey is testing the native delicacies, and Athens is a incredible place to strive new meals. Don’t let your self go away with out making an attempt no less than one of many following:
Food in Greece is understood for being contemporary and flavorful. Here are a few of our favourite dishes:
- Tzatziki – a brightly flavored dip made with Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon, and contemporary herbs
- Souvlaki – grilled, skewered bites of meat, eaten straight or served with potatoes and pita
- Spanakopita – a savory pastry of spinach, herbs, and feta cheese encased in flaky phyllo dough
- Loukoumades – one of many oldest pastries on this planet, Loukoumades are small balls of dough dunked in honey syrup and sprinkled with toppings together with cinnamon, sesame seeds, and chocolate
- Ouzo – an anise-flavored liquor in style all through Greece
- Frappé – sweetened immediate espresso blended with milk and ice and typically topped with whipped cream
- Beer – in style manufacturers embody Fix and Mythos, however there are additionally loads of craft beers to strive, many made with native substances
6) How’s the WiFi?
Using Ookla, an web velocity testing service, the typical web speeds in Athens for February 2023 had been 50.80mbps obtain and 13.79mbps add.
7) How Long Can I Stay?
U.S. Citizens touring to Greece can keep as much as 90 days inside a 180-day interval with no visa. Travelers who want to keep longer can apply for an extension or make the most of Greece’s new Digital Nomad Visa in the event that they meet all necessities, together with a month-to-month earnings of no less than $3,777 monthly.
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the newest reopening information, conversations, and Q&A’s occurring day by day!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your e-mail tackle to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s newest breaking journey information, straight to your inbox
This article initially appeared on TravelOffPath.com