Ho Chi Minh City within the south of Vietnam is the nation’s financial capital and a dizzying whirlwind of exercise. Formerly often called Saigon, the sprawling metropolis balances Vietnamese custom with a contemporary aptitude.
Wandering the streets, you’ll discover historic pagodas combined amongst skyscrapers and high-end outlets subsequent to mouth-watering road meals stalls.
Because town was underneath French rule for over 60 years, there’s additionally a distinctly French aptitude to town present in its structure, streets, and even its delicacies.
But earlier than setting off to Ho Chi Minh City, there are some things you want to remember. In this put up, we’ll cowl all the things you should learn about touring to Ho Chi Minh City, together with:
- What are the prices for vacationers?
- Things to learn about tradition and etiquette
- What are the highest sights?
- How secure is it?
- Local meals and drinks
- How good is the WiFi?
- How lengthy are you able to keep?
Ready? Here are the highest 7 issues you should know earlier than visiting Ho Chi Minh City:
Did you realize… Ho Chi Minh City was previously referred to as Saigon, though many nonetheless consult with it as so. The official identify change got here in 1975 when the Northern Vietnamese Army gained management of town, bringing an finish to the Vietnam War. The metropolis is called after Ho Chi Minh, the Twentieth-century Vietnamese revolutionary who led the battle for the nation’s independence.
1) Ho Chi Minh City Affordability
The foreign money in Vietnam is the Vietnamese Dong or VND. The present change fee is
₫100,000 VND = $4.29 USD, and $1 USD = ₫23,338 VND.
Here are the common prices for vacationers in USD:
There is a wide range of accommodations out there to swimsuit any finances or journey type in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Average resort value: One evening at a 3-star resort sometimes prices round $40, or round $85 for a 4-star resort.
- Luxury 5-star lodges: Luxury 4-star lodges common $150 per evening, and there are many choices, particularly if you wish to splurge. For occasion, the La Vela Saigon Hotel has beautiful suites beginning at $540 per evening.
- If you’re on a finances: Ho Chi Minh City is a backpacker’s paradise, with numerous choices for affordable hostels. A mattress in a dorm at a well-rated hostel prices between $5-$7 per evening, whereas a personal ensuite room averages about $20 per evening. Hostels sometimes present free breakfast and WiFi.
Not solely is the meals in Ho Chi Minh City extremely scrumptious, there are many inexpensive choices.
- A 3-course meal at a mid-range restaurant for 2 prices round $25.
- For a low-cost meal at a reasonable restaurant or from a road meals vendor, count on to pay round $2.
- A beer prices between $1-$2, whereas a cappuccino is about $2.
- Public transportation in Ho Chi Minh City is dominated by a large bus community that may take guests to any of the highest vacationer locations. Fare is predicated on distance traveled and ranges between $0.15 – $0.50 per journey. It is extremely low-cost, however simply understand it will also be a painfully sluggish method to get round.
- Taxi fares begin at$0.50and value a further $1 per mile traveled. Motorbike taxis are additionally widespread and a brief journey sometimes prices round $1.50 for a brief journey. Ho Chi Minh City’s most popular rideshare service known as Grab, and it really works the identical means as Uber. Rates are normally cheaper than taxis.
- Traveling by cyclo can be an choice. Cyclos are three-wheeled bike taxis which can be slow-moving and sometimes need to keep away from sure streets the place they’re prohibited. An hour-long journey sometimes prices round $7 – simply remember to negotiate the worth earlier than you are taking off.
- Experienced bikers can select to cycle town. Bike leases can be found for about $5.50 per day, simply beware that the site visitors is extremely chaotic, so when you select to bike remember to journey with warning.
2) Culture And Etiquette In Ho Chi Minh City
Vietnam’s tradition and traditions are a lot completely different than these discovered within the West. Make time to learn up on applicable etiquette earlier than taking off on your trip.
Check this record earlier than your journey! Here are among the main Dos and Don’ts in Ho Chi Minh City.
- DO present respect at non secular websites: When visiting temples and pagodas all guests ought to costume modestly or cowl up with a shawl. Bow your head to temples and Buddha statues to indicate respect and converse solely in a whisper when inside. Never contact statues or monks, and take off your sneakers if requested.
- DON’T go overboard with PDA: Try to maintain your fingers off one another when out in public, and undoubtedly don’t do any smooching inside non secular websites.
- DO preserve valuables at dwelling: The Vietnamese individuals are humble and don’t sometimes show giant indicators of wealth. Doing in order a vacationer may very well be thought of impolite.
- DON’T settle for the primary value: At market stalls haggling over the worth is anticipated, simply ensure you do it with a smile.
- DO respect your elders: Show respect to anybody older than you by providing a greeting or a bow.
- DO ask first: If you wish to take a photograph of somebody all the time ask permission first. Additionally, keep away from taking images in army areas because it might land you in jail.
3) Top Attractions in Ho Chi Minh City
Ho Chi Minh City is filled with unbelievable locations to discover. Here are just a few of the highest issues to see and do whereas visiting:
- Cu Chi Tunnels – An in depth community of small tunnels that have been dug and used through the Vietnam War by Viet Cong troopers. Visitors can take a guided tour and crawl by means of sure sections of the tunnels.
- Ben Thanh Market- Vietnam’s largest market with over 1,500 merchants. You’ll discover loads of retail, souvenirs, handmade objects, and scrumptious meals at this expansive market.
- War Remnants Museum – With over 20,000 paperwork, artifacts, and movies, the War Remnants Museum educates guests on the native perspective of the Vietnam War and the lasting results it has had on the nation.
4) How Safe Is It For Tourists?
As with many Asian cities, Ho Chi Minh City may be very secure for vacationers. However, there are nonetheless some issues that vacationers ought to bear in mind to remain secure throughout their go to:
- Beware of thieves: Bag snatching and petty crime is quite common, so remember to take additional warning in busy areas or vacationer spots. Don’t stroll along with your telephone in your hand, and by no means depart luggage unattended.
- Know name for assist: If you or somebody you’re with want emergency help name 113.
- Be cautious crossing the road: To say the streets in Ho Chi Minh are chaotic is an understatement, and crossing the street, specifically, could be a very tense occasion. The finest technique is to attend for a break within the site visitors after which cross confidently at a constant tempo.
- DO get journey insurance coverage: Travel insurance may also help in well being emergencies in addition to with protecting the prices of any journey mishaps throughout your Ho Chi Minh City journey. For 5 nice choices, read more here.
5) Local Eats And Drinks
One of one of the best components of journey is testing the native delicacies, and Ho Chi Minh City is a implausible place to strive new meals. Don’t let your self depart with out making an attempt not less than one of many following:
- Snails – Boiled, steamed, grilled, or sauteed snails are a preferred road meals, particularly when eaten with a chilly beer.
- Banh mi – a sandwich that may be made with a wide range of meats (or tofu), recent herbs, pickled greens, pate, and a chili sauce stuffed inside in a crunchy baguette
- Com Tam – marinated and slow-grilled pork ribs served with damaged rice, egg, greens, and scallion oil, sometimes drenched in fish sauce.
- Vietnamese Coffee – Coffee tradition in Vietnam is powerful and it’s offered in every single place, typically served over ice and sweetened with condensed milk.
- Sugarcane juice – Fresh stalks of sugarcane are juiced between two rollers producing a candy refreshing beverage.
- Beer – Popular brews embrace Saigon and 333. Local craft beers together with Heart of Darkness and Platinum are gaining recognition
6) How’s the WiFi?
Using Ookla, an web velocity testing service, the common web speeds in Ho Chi Minh City for March 2023 have been 42.15mbps obtain and 20.50mbps add.
7) How Long Can I Stay?
U.S. Citizens should get hold of a vacationer visa to visit Vietnam. Applications for e-visas will be executed on-line and are legitimate for a most of 30 days and value $25. Alternatively, guests can get hold of a visa on arrival on the airport if it has been pre-arranged, or from an embassy. These visas will be legitimate for as much as 3 months. All passports should have not less than 6 months of validity and one clean web page.
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the most recent reopening information, conversations, and Q&A’s taking place day by day!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your electronic mail handle to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s newest breaking journey information, straight to your inbox.
This article initially appeared on TravelOffPath.com